If Bookdonors were a book this is what it might say inside the front cover.
About Bookdonors CIC
Bookdonors is a not for profit social enterprise based in Tweedbank in the beautiful Scottish Borders. We trade in used books for the benefit of people, charities and the environment. 100% of our sales are used to fulfil our social mission, which is to:-
- Provide flexible adaptable employment opportunities
- To help protect our precious environment
- To provide additional income to a range of charities
We fulfil those objectives by:-
- Offering opportunities to people (younger & older) who find work difficult to obtain
- Providing supported employment for those with disabilities, which otherwise make it difficult for them to integrate into a conventional workplace
- Re-using & recycling unwanted books that would otherwise have gone to landfill
- Purchasing unwanted books
Each year The NatWest SE100 Index recognises social enterprises on the Index who have demonstrated some of the best business practice within the sector.
In the SE100 2016 Index Bookdonors was Rated #5 in the UK Retail (Including Fair Trade) Sector.
In Scotland, in the same sector, Bookdonors Rank #2 for Biggest Organisations, Top Growth Organisations and Top Social Impact.
At the 2016 SE100 Business Awards Bookdonors was a Finalist for The Storyteller Award (Yes, we are aware of the irony!)
This independent validation of our performance is a fitting reward for all the hard work of our team!